Monday, March 31, 2014

I'm exhausted...

Well today is day three.  I was going to update day one but I accidentally drained my phone battery while I made dinner.  I didn't take any photos yesterday because it was so rainy and I didn't realize how limiting my rain cover made my bag.

Excuses. 

I saw the first big street since I got dropped off March 27.  It was Woodys Gap.  The sun even came out for the first time in nearly 2 days!  I know!  I'm only on day three.  It's rained on and off since 2pm there. *fingers crossed that I can tear down my tent dry in the  morning*

This will be a long post.  I've met so many cool people!  Ed was the first.  He's 64 and finally doing it. I've seen him every night.  Ed is now traveling with Bill.  Cake is an older woman who kicks butt!  Her daughter did the Thru Hike last year.  Grey Wolf gave me Spam Singles and I gave him so my extra water.  Last night I slept with That Guy, Lela, and Dylan after some good rounds of Trail Uno. 

There's Nomad who is funny and a bit out there.  I met a fellow last night called Ireland.  He's from Northern Ireland (witty!). I'm not sure when he left the shelter this morning but I caught up with him and we kept up with each other for about 4 miles till Woody Gap.

There are so many awesome people!  I'll never remember everyone.  I have found that I love the shelter experience but I don't like the hiking.  How horrible does that sound!  Well today is only day 3 and it's rained all day and night for the past 2.  I don't have my hiking legs yet.  I'm not anywhere used to mountains (from flat Ohio!!!) but I'm hiking several mountains a day! 

Day one was about 9 miles to Hawk Mt Shelter. (Had to climb 1 mile up Springer and back down same mile) and I slept in my tent.

Day two was about 8 miles to Coach Gap Shelter. I sheltered it.  Mice ate though one ziplock, one fabric bag for my sleeping pad, and MY IRISH KILT!!! I HAVE 2 LARGE HOLES!!!!  And that was all hung off the ground!

Day three was about 8 miles to Lance Creek camp area.  I'm tenting it.  I would have liked to sheltered but the next two shelters are in bad bear areas.  I'm so exhausted.  My back hurts in weird angles. My calfs.....  HA!!!!

Tomorrow is going to be big.  I'm all ready to pack quickly and start early the 8miles over Blood Mountain and hopefully ending in Neels Gap around noon to meet my mom for more food and stay in the hostel.  

Let me attach all the photos from day one and three.  I'll upload this post close to service tomorrow from a warm dry bed. I'll try to write less but more often!

3 comments:

  1. you go girl! you'll get your hiking legs! I am so happy that you are meeting some awesome people! Sorry about the mouse holes in your kilt :( But, when you finish, you can get a new kick-ass kilt to celebrate your adventure! All is well here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Hannah! The first couple weeks of this adventure are going to be bloody hard. Really, really hard. Know that, accept it, and push forward. If you have to, set a date or a set point that you WILL get to no matter how much you hate it. Once you reach that point, you'll most likely be over the hump and will carry on, but at that point give yourself permission to call it off if you need to.

    I am very proud of you for doing it! Hiking or biking in the rain sucks. It's so demoralizing. Things will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the first I ever heard of your trip, should have told me I would have done it with you. I've always wanted to do the Appalachian Trail. Hopefully we'll see you this summer in connecticut.

    Don't try to do too many miles, you'll get burnt out and won't want to finish the trip. When we were doing the Colorado Trail we did about 10 a day. I thought that was good for us.

    from your uncle john

    ReplyDelete